July 2, 2021
4th July 2021
New York City Police announced road closures today during Macy’s annual fireworks display over the East River. The event will take place on Sunday, July 4th, 2021, starting at around 9:20 p.m. and ending at 9:50 p.m. The department reminds viewers that no large backpacks, large cool boxes, deck chairs, lawn blankets, umbrellas or alcoholic beverages are allowed in the viewing areas. All restricted items will be searched and confiscated.
Drivers are advised to use public transport and avoid the following locations between 2:00 PM and 2:00 AM
MACY’S JULY 4TH ANNUAL FIREWORKS CELEBRATION
Manhattan location: road closed between 3:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- FDR Drive between Battery Park Underpass and East 63rd Street
- Avenue C between East 16th Street and East 20th Street
- East 20th Street between 1st Avenue and C Avenue
- East 23rd Street between 1st Avenue and C Avenue
- East 26th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 30th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- 30th Street Entrance Ramps
- East 33rd Street between 1st Avenue and 3rd Avenue
- East 34th Street between 2nd Avenue and FDR Drive
- 34th Street entrance ramps
- East 37th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 38th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 41st Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 42nd Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- 42nd Street Entrance Ramps
- East 48th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 49th Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
- East 53rd Street between 1st Avenue and FDR Drive
Advice on East River Bridges
- Brooklyn Bridge – Between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM, no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. The car traffic remains open.
- Manhattan Bridge – Between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM, no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. The car traffic remains open.
- Williamsburg Bridge – Between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM, no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. No car traffic between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Edward I. Koch Bridge (59th Street Bridge) – Between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., no pedestrian or bicycle traffic. No car traffic between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
PUBLIC VIEW – Manhattan
The public viewing areas in Manhattan will be the elevated sections of the FDR drive with the following entry points:
Note: Access blocks will be closed as viewing areas fill and viewers may be redirected to additional open access blocks.
- 23rd street
- 34th street
- 42nd street
Manhattan ADA (handicapped accessible)
- ADA – FDR Southbound Lane, at 18th St. and Avenue C (across 20th St. and 23rd St.)
Brooklyn / Location:
- Domino Park – Access Point on South 5th Street and Kent Avenue
- Bushwick Inlet Park – Access Point on Kent Avenue, North 9th Street to North 10th Street
- Transmitter Park – Access point on Greenpoint Avenue to the cul-de-sac
- Newton Barge Playground – Access Point at 3 Commercial Street
- Marsha P. Johnson State Park (East River State Park) – Kent Ave and North 8th Street access point
Note: Brooklyn Bridge Park is not a lookout point this year due to the placement of the barge
Queens / Location:
- Gantry Plaza State Park – Vernon Blvd access points at 48th Ave, 47th Road, 47th Ave, 46th Road, and 46th Ave.
OVERFLIGHT In addition to the fireworks, NYPD Aviation Unit helicopters will fly over the East River between Brooklyn Bridge and Ed Koch Bridge at around 7.45pm on Sunday evening.
MEDIA PARKING From 1:00 pm, media parking spaces for “Broadcast Vehicles Only” are permitted on the west side of Center Blvd between 50th and 51st Aves. All trucks must be in the staging area by 1:00 p.m. A representative from the NYPD DCPI will then instruct the trucks to park in a designated location for the show after the security check is complete. Other vehicles are not permitted. Media representatives are reminded that NYPD press passes must be fully issued at all times while the wearer is on or within police lines.
For updates, follow us at @NYPDNews