Author: Disabled World: Contact: Disabled World (www.disabled-world.com)
Table of contents and important points:
Traipsin Global On Wheels (TGOW) offers a platform and a podcast for information and promotion of disability rights and advocacy in the field of climate change, travel and fitness.
The reason Ming Canaday founded this company, and this podcast series in particular, is to show the impact climate change is having on people with disabilities.
Climate change is becoming one of the most pressing problems of the 21st century, and people with disabilities around the world are disproportionately affected.
Ming Canaday, a London School of Economics graduate and wheelchair user, is the founder of a start-up called Traipsin ‘Global On Wheels (TGOW). The platform wants to support people with mobility and people with disabilities in the areas of climate change, travel and fitness.
Ming Canaday contracted polio as a toddler, which affected her legs and caused severe scoliosis. Her own disabilities, her parents, and her solo trips around the world inspired the creation of TGOW. Ming started the podcast to provide a platform for information and promotion of disability rights / advocacy.
Advocacy for the disabled
On the side of the Disability Advocacy, they had:
- Senator Tom Harkin (the co-sponsor of the American With Disabilities Act 1990)
- Judy Woodruff (Anchor and Managing Editor of PBS NewsHour)
- Dr. Cheri Blauwet (the first Stanford Medical School graduate to use a wheelchair and Paralympian in wheelchair racing)
- Judy Heumann (a world-famous disability rights activist)
- Dana Bolles (NASA engineer for over two decades)
As well as many other executives on the show.
Climate change and disability
Climate change is fast becoming one of the most pressing issues of the 21st century. People with disabilities around the world, who make up 15% of the world’s population (around one (1) billion people), are disproportionately affected. Worse still, they are not included in the decision-making process or in the disaster planning process. The reason Ming Canaday founded this company, and this podcast series in particular, is to show the impact climate change is having on people with disabilities.
At their intersection between climate change and disability, they have included a number of environmentalists including:
- Bill McKibben (founder of 350.org)
- Erik Solheim (Executive Director for UNEP)
- Juliet Davenport (CEO of Good Energy in the UK)
- Gene Baur (Co-Founder and President of Farm Sanctuary)
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (the leading US Senator on Climate Change)
- Congressman Jim Langevin (of Rhode Island)
And many others.
Ming’s podcast shows the world how one of the most marginalized groups in the world, people with disabilities, are also key actors who care about human rights and our environment and are committed to protecting human rights and saving our planet, so well we can.
Traipsin ‘Global On Wheels
- Website: traipsingglobal.com
- Podcasts: traipsingglobal.com/podcast
- Facebook: facebook.com/traipsinglobalonwheels
- YouTube: youtube.com/channel/UCmTxO_3QBGVA4qfB29hAQjA
• • Disabled World is a news and information website only and is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. The materials presented are in no way intended to be, and should not be construed as, a substitute for professional medical care provided by a qualified physician. Offers or advertising from third-party providers on disabled-world.com do not constitute approval by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English. Author: Disabled World. Electronic publication date: 2020-09-18. Last revised date: 18.09.2020. Reference Title: “Traipsin Global On Wheels Podcast and Platform”, Source: Traipsin Global On Wheels Podcast and Platform. Summary: Traipsin Global On Wheels (TGOW) offers a platform and a podcast for information and promotion of disability rights and advocacy in the field of climate change, travel and fitness. Retrieved on December 14, 2020 from https://www.disabled-world.com/communication/podcasts/traipsin.php – reference category number: DW # 519-13878.