TxDOT to carry digital public assembly about FM 1171 enhancements – Cross Timbers Gazette | Southern Denton County | Flower Mound
The Texas Department of Transportation and DentonCounty will host a virtual public session for an FM 1171 improvement project for approximately two weeks.
The proposed project involves building a new, non-freeway, road from FM 1171 to I-35W west of FM 156 in Justin, according to a TxDOT press release.
The urbanized sections of the proposed new freeway-free road would include:
- Three 12 foot tracks in each direction
- 18 feet wide median
- 14-foot inner shoulders and 2-foot outer shoulders
- 3-foot shared path and six-foot sidewalk with curb ramps of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The rural section of the proposed new highway-free road would include:
- Two 12 foot lanes (ultimately six lanes) in each direction
- Depressed median 18 m wide
- Four foot inner shoulders and 10 foot outer shoulders for bike storage
12-foot turn lanes would be created at various locations throughout the project corridor. The planned drainage will take place via curbs and gutters, a rainwater sewer system and crossing culverts. The design speed for the proposed carriageway is 40 miles per hour for the urban section and 70 miles per hour for the rural section.
The project also proposes the construction of two new bridges:
- A 535-foot section of FM 156, BNSF Railroad, GE Test Track Railroad, and Justin Cemetery Road.
- A 2,940 foot section at Denton Creek. This bridge will be built in stages. The transition phase consists of two 12-foot lanes in each direction with a 22-foot inside bench and a 10-foot outside bench. The ultimate stage will consist of three 12 foot lanes in each direction with 10 foot shoulders.
Subject to final design considerations, the proposed project would require additional right of way and possibly displace an empty structure.
The meeting is not a live event, but can be viewed by residents on Thursday from 6:00 p.m. at keepitmovingdallas.com/FM1171 and will remain online until July 23.