What to do in case you grow to be disabled: In case you’re in employment and grow to be disabled

Your employer cannot discriminate against you based on your disability – you are protected by the Equality Act 2010.

They also need to keep your job open to you and not pressure you to resign just because you are disabled.

Appropriate adjustments

Your employer must make “reasonable adjustments” for you so that you are not disadvantaged compared to non-disabled people.

This could include:

  • a gradual return to work, for example flexible working hours or part-time
  • Free time for medical treatment or advice
  • Give other employees tasks that they cannot easily do
  • Providing you with practical tools and technical equipment

Get help from Access to Work

If the help you need at work is not provided by your employer, who makes reasonable adjustments, you may be able to get help from Access to Work.

A grant for access to work can pay for:

  • Special equipment, customizations, or support services for employees to help you answer the phone or attend meetings, for example
  • Help with getting to and from work
  • Mental health support
  • Communication support during a job interview (e.g. a British sign language interpreter or a lip speaker)

Free time from work

If you are an employee and are unable to work because of your disability, you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). Some employers have their own sick pay system instead.

If after 28 weeks you are still unable to work or are not receiving statutory sick pay, you can apply for a universal loan or employment and support allowance.

Time off from work should not be recorded as an ‘absence from work’ while waiting for your employer to make appropriate adjustments.

Check your employment status if you are not sure whether you are an employee or not.

Layoffs and layoffs

Your employer cannot fire you just because you are disabled.

You can be fired if your disability means you cannot get your job done with appropriate adjustments.

They cannot be selected for redundancy just because they are disabled.

Contact ACAS (Advisory, Mediation and Arbitration Service), Citizens Advice, or your union representative for advice on employment issues.

Comments are closed.