Education Law Center-PA, a nationwide civil rights organization that has played a leadership role in key issues of educational justice since 1975, is seeking an attorney for a Full time based in our Philadelphia office. A temporary position (3-6 months) to focus on urgent legal proceedings may also be considered (schedule to be determined). The main responsibilities for this position are focused on litigation and representing clients directly. This also includes working with partners from the community and informing our political interest groups at local, state and federal level. The candidate should demonstrate demonstrable advocacy for racial justice, public interest law, civil rights and the promotion of the rights of underserved populations.
ELC is looking for an exceptionally talented candidate with the following skills and experience to work in a highly collaborative and supportive office:
- At least 5 years of relevant litigation experience
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice, public interest rights, civil rights and promoting the rights of underserved populations
- Ability to work with customer families as well as with colleagues and community partners
- Strong research, writing, and analysis skills
- Excellent verbal advocacy skills and public speaking experience
- Experience in political work is an advantage
- Initiative, vision and a willingness to use multi-strategy approaches for advocacy
- Prior experience in the staff or board of a non-profit organization is an advantage
- Pennsylvania Bar Association admission and standing or mutual admission
The Education Law Center’s mission is to ensure that all children in Pennsylvania have access to quality public education. ELC accomplishes this mission through a variety of strategies including direct legal representation, litigation, educating parents and students about their legal rights, partnering with community groups, and advocacy. Our work focuses on issues of access and justice through an intersectional and racial justice by working with clients who have historically been underserved by public education, including students of color, students in poverty, students with disabilities, English learners, Homeless students LGBTQ youth and students working in the care and juvenile justice sectors. We are working to reduce the school-prison pipeline, ensure fair and adequate funding for public schools, and ensure that all children have access to all educational opportunities.
Apply for this job
To apply, please email a letter of interest and a résumé to [email protected] with the subject “Staff Attorney Applicant”. The applicants are checked continuously. A competitive salary is based on experience and generous benefits are provided. The Education Law Center-PA offers all employees and applicants equal employment opportunities and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind, regardless of race, skin color, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity Term or other features protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all terms of employment, including hiring, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, dismissal, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Mention you found this job on Generocity!